Juneeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. June was magical, gals and guys, because I stuck very well to a TBR – and for a very good reason. It was my month of contemporary, feely, cheesiness! AND IT WAS SO GOOD. I had no clue that it would turn out as amazing and fun as it was, and I’m totally going to have to do a themed TBR in the future again.
So, what did I end up reading this month? I read a total of 16 books! Here’s the list:
- The Disappearances by Emily Bain Murphy (review coming 7/4)
- I Believe in a Thing Called Love by Maurene Goo (review coming soon)
- When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Melon (review coming soon)
- It’s Not Me, It’s You by Stephanie Kate Strohm (review coming soon)
- On the Fence by Kasie West (DNF)
- Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia (review coming soon but OMG get this on your TBR if this isn’t on it already)
- Saints and Misfits by S. K. Ali (review coming soon but OMG get this on your TBR if this isn’t on it already)
- The Loose Ends List by Carrie Firestone (DNF – will not be reviewing)
- Sasquatch, Love, and Other Imaginary Things by BETSY ALDREDGE & CARRIE DUBOIS-SHAW (review coming a bit closer to the release date)
- Coming up for Air by Miranda Kenneally (DNF)
- Love and Other Alien Experiences by Kerri Winfrey (DNF)
- All the Ways the World Can End by Abby Sher (DNF)
- Bad Romance by Heather Demetrios
- Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon vol. 1 by Naoko Takeuchi (check out my earlier Fangirl Friday post)
- House of Furies by Madeleine Roux (review coming soon)
- Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli
Best of the month? Well, there was actually a few! There were quite a few five crown reads this month, but only one was officially added to the favorites shelf (It’s Not Me, It’s You) and that is teetering on adding to the favorites shelf (Eliza and Her Monsters). The rest of the five crown reads were: Saints and Misfits; Bad Romance; and Sasquatch, Love, and Other Imaginary Things.
And, yes, there are a lotttttttttttttt of DNFs this month. I find with contemporary, I have the hardest time with writing styles and characters. If you don’t fall in love with either of them, you’re kind of screwed from the start. It’s not like you can just fall in love with the plot or world since so many are character driven. The biggest DNF I was sad about was Love and Other Alien Experiences since I wanted to love that one so bad (ALIENS).
Other standouts this month? I Believe in a Thing Called Love was one – if not – the most anticipated contemporary I had on my shelf, and it and me just did not connect. I’ll go more into it when the review comes, but for wanting it and loving it from afar for so long, I really had a struggle with it. The Disappearances also REALLY shocked me for how much I loved it. Bain Murphy has a talent, and I can’t wait to talk about my thoughts with you all when my blog tour stop comes. It left me feeling, wow, I’ll never read a book like that again.
Even though I had a weird kind of month overall when you look at the crown ratings, it was a fantastic month, and I’m in love with it. Perfect way to start off YA summer!
What did you read in June? Did we share any of the same books? Have you ever done a themed TBR? Let’s discuss in the comments below!
Jullllllllllllllllllllly. I don’t really have any big plans for July. No theme called out to me, and when I started YA Summer Reads Bingo, I thought that I would just stuff a lot of those books onto this TBR since I’m apparently really getting bingo competitive here and want a full blackout. So, I’m going to set a super tentative TBR, since I have a feeling a mood reading month is about to begin.
Here are a few books I know for sure I would like to try and read:
- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas (Buddy Reads via YA Book Bloggers – have you joined this epic Goodreads group yet????)
- Cinder re-read with the same epic Goodreads group – seriously, just go join right now!!
- A Gathering of Shadows by V. E. Schwab
- A Conjuring of Light by V. E. Schwab
- Truthwitch by Susan Dennard
- Odd & True by Cat Winters
- Bad Girl Gone by Temple Mathews
- Murder, Magic, and What She Wore by Kelly Jones
- Chasing Eveline by Leslie Hauser
- Just Friends by Tiffany Pitcock
- Dreamfall by Amy Plum
…and I really don’t know what else? Literally no books are calling out to me right now. We’ll have to see where this month takes us.
My most anticipated reads? ME COMPLETING SHADES OF MAGIC TRIO. I CAN’T WAIT, I CAN’T WAIT, I CAN’T WAIT. I was so in love with the first one, and I’ve heard that it just gets better and better. I’m so excited, and there will probably be a lot of fangirling this month.