Mayyyyyyyyyyyyy…I’m not sure if it went fast or slow. Like, to me, this month started to go really fast and then it kind of weirdly dwindled for a while. So I kept thinking we were weirdly further along in the month than what we were. Weirdness.
Anyway, May was an interesting book month for me. I encountered book burnout in the middle of the month. Therefore, I had a lot of books that I was not pleased with. I reread some amazing books again, which totally threw off my review copies TBR pile. But now, in the past week and half or so, I’m back on track and I finally got some really good reads. Here’s what I read this month with a total of 16 books!
- Dear Reader by Mary O’Connell (DNF)
- The Best Kind of Magic by Crystal Cestari (DNF)
- Scarlet by Marissa Meyer (reread)
- Cress by Marissa Meyer (reread)
- Ensnared by Rita Strandling (DNF)
- Cold Summer by Gwen Cole (review coming soon)
- Ewan Pendle and the White Wraith by Shawn Hume
- The Fill-In Boyfriend by Kasie West (buddy read with the lovely ladies of YA and Wine)
- Phantom Rose by Tanwa Adanlawo (review coming soon)
- Scythe of Darkness by Dawn Husted (review coming soon)
- A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab (review coming soon)
- Secrets of Skin and Stone by Wendy Laine (review coming soon)
- Follow Me Back by A. V. Geiger (review coming soon)
- This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab (review coming soon)
*I did also read two other books that I will not be reviewing on the blog. One because I still haven’t collected my thoughts on it fully, and the other because it would be so short and unnecessary. XD
Favorites of the month? Well, I only had one go on the favorites shelf this month, and honestly, it was actually already there, but my nitpicky self accidentally took it (Scarlet) off before in a fit of book hipsterness. It is now back in its rightful spot. Besides the glorious TLC rereads, A Darker Shade of Magic was my favorite read of the month. IT WAS SO GOOD. I totally am seeing the light of that amazingness that is V. E. Schwab and I will hopefully be binge reading the rest of the series soon. Honorable mentions: Follow Me Back and Secrets of Skin and Stone, which turned out far better than I expected.
Worst reads of the month were the three DNFs. I had a lot of hope for Ensnared and The Best Kind of Magic, but I was totally let down by them. I couldn’t get behind the concept of Ensnared, and I just felt a huge disconnect with Magic. Dear Reader just got a little bit crazy on me.
The rest of the reads were just okay. Nothing super amazing but nothing super bad. It just felt like an okay month overall for me, and I’m hoping June will have so much more for me.
I was talking with the fabulous Krysti over @ YA and Wine, and this idea came to me: why not make a month full of fluffy, adorable contemporaries? Two of my most anticipated reads came out the other day – When Dimple Met Rishi and I Believe in a Thing Called Love. I clearly want to read them as soon as possible, but it won’t be until June when I physically get them. I have been reading a ton of darker, fantasy-like books without the feels and cuteness, so I clearly need to get my groove back for my lovely contemporaries.
So, all the physicals books I’ll be reading this month? They will be adorable, fluffy contemporaries. All the ebooks? ARCs that I need to get on top of since I will hopefully be doing an ARC read-a-thon this month. I usually trade off or try to read at the same time.
Here are my two piles that I will be picking from this month:
- The Disappearances by Emily Bain Murphy
- Coming Up for Air by Miranda Kenneally
- Odd & True by Cat Winters
- Love and Other Alien Experiences by Kerri Winfrey
- Bad Girl Gone by Temple Mathews
- Murder, Magic, and What She Wore by Kelly Jones
Adorable, Cheesy Goodness and/or Books that Will Make Me Feely Feel Physical Reads
- I Believe in a Thing Called Love by Maurene Goo
- When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Melon
- It’s Not Me, It’s You by Stephanie Kate Strohm
- On the Fence by Kasie West
- Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia
- Saints and Misfits by S. K. Ali
- The Loose Ends List by Carrie Firestone
- The Shadows We Know by Heart by Jennifer Park (OTHER BIGFOOT BOOK)
- Sasquatch, Love, and Other Imaginary Things by BETSY ALDREDGE & CARRIE DUBOIS-SHAW
There will clearly be a few other books in play, I do believe for this month, but these are the main ones that I really want to get knocked out. Since June will be the official beginning of summer, I just want all the feels, all the cuteness, and so much adorableness. I can’t wait to get started!
Also, I’m going to really, really try and stick to this TBR, but I do have the rest of the Darker Shade books haunting me, and I did order a few new books which all make me want to read them as well. And who knows what will surprise me on Netgalley or if I get sucked into something new…like The Hundredth Queen, which will be coming very soon as well. Oh dear.